Social Work Services for Students

We are Here to Help

Social Work services at NMSU are available to students to assist in meeting needs and overcoming barriers to reaching educational goals.

Many college students have encountered times of hardship where they did not have enough resources to meet their needs and did not know where to go to find help. Those resources could be anything from basic needs, such as food, shelter, or health care, to issues such as finding childcare, financial assistance, counseling, or legal aid. Other students who come to college are living away from home and their familiar support systems. They may need help learning about NMSU, the Las Cruces area, local resources, and how to navigate those resources and systems. Sometimes a student’s needs are so great that hardship turns into a crisis, and the student’s academic achievement suffers. This may cause the student to drop out of college altogether.

Need some help? Make an appointment! You are not alone!
Social Work Services (575) 646 2731


NMSU Social Work Services are here for students who are in crisis, who need additional supports and resources, or who need help learning how to navigate the university and Las Cruces community systems and advocate for themselves. Full and Part-Time NMSU undergraduate and graduate students are eligible for services. Services are free and confidential. The Social Work office is located in Room 100 of Garcia Annex, next to the Counseling Center.


Go to Room 100 in Garcia Annex and ask the Counseling Center Receptionist for an appointment with the Social Worker. You can also call 646-2731 to schedule an appointment. When you come in for the first time, you will be asked to fill out some paperwork. To refer a student: Often people who need help don’t know how to ask or where to look for assistance. If you know someone who has problems or concerns who may benefit from services, encourage the person to call. You can even call in a referral and the Social Worker will contact the student. Make sure the student is aware of the referral first. The Social Worker will not make contact unless the student has given you permission to refer him/her for services.

Online Resources